Sunday, October 30, 2016

Engagement Day

Interpreting Poetry and Law

The introductory of my freshman seminar Poetry and Law with Professor Natashia Lopez-Gomez was not what I had expected it to be. After discovering I was enrolled in this seminar, the idea I had in mind was a thick government textbook full of legal systems and rules or laws set, the Constitution posted on a wall somewhere in the classroom and a book of Edgar Allan Poe's poems. I was wrong but fascinated by what the course offered and the topics we'd engage in, as well as our community partner we'd be working with, the ACLU. Looking at current issues and the abuse of civil rights upon the people oppressed of their rights. Overall, our class would be seeking social justice for all. I was glad to see how diverse our seminar was as well as the various ethnicities in the class. Each of us had introduced ourselves and the reason of our choice for choosing this specific class. Being a history major, specifically interested in American history, I was very drawn to the course since it involved law. Writing isn't one of my strengths, but poetry is something I see as an authentic story or feeling that cannot be critiqued or marked of errors. Exploring this form of writing is something I believe would give me the ability to strengthen my skills. This engagement day really opened my mind and the opportunity for me to see and understand current and past accounts of discriminations and freedoms taken from Americans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment